venerdì 27 aprile 2007

GEAR TWO: LOOKING INTO YOUR EYES

My compatriot, looking into your eyes after the reign of terror that followed the general elections, I can see once again frustration trickling down your eyes. I could almost feel the anguish of your heart. If not for being a communicator, I assure you that I would have given up reading Nigerian news because it is a recycled scenario that holds no novelty. Yes, you must admit that the elections of this year was one more time worse than the previous one. One of my friends and a great proponent of evolutionary politics might be leaning on the law of diminishing returns to catch up with this massive perpetration of injustice. But what I see is that if the trend is an exponential sophistication of fraud and thuggery, the blatant co-option of 'independent' institutions like Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Security operatives, then we are not in a learning process because in learning each stage improves on the former.
Tears, only but tears trickled down my eyes. It was in CNN, BBC; Aljazeera among others, that this country is a pariah state. Weep not my child, weep not my darling for those who made spirited effort to keep our heads high are not giving up the struggle. We are not giving up the struggle because democracy is not about elections only but the consolidation of democratic values. While others may have chosen to wait again for four years to come out and tell us that God has sent them to take over the affairs of our country, look out for those who after elections are ready to keep galvanizing our voices and to put smile in the face of many downtrodden Nigerians.
We are getting it right, we are resorting to gear two. The first gear was a hard start but the second puts us on a smooter ride. Don't forget that the higher we go, the better it shall be. Tighten your belt and let us ride on.

Nessun commento: