lunedì 16 aprile 2007

14th APRIL: SENSA PAROLE!!!! WITHOUT WORDS

After the 'free' and 'fair' elections conducted on the 14th; die hard optimists like us will still insist that the nation is not going to remain the same and that together we can change the situation. Was there elections by the way? My best imagination is that there was only a semblance of election because there was an electoral body, a day for election and political parties. However, beyond these, my mouth is shot. After all, I was not in Nigeria.
If I cannot trust the media reports from both the international and local media perhaps, I could trust my Mum whom I called on the night of the 14th. 'Ikem, I did not vote' she responded. Why didn't you vote? 'My son, we got there(pooling boot) but there was no sign of voting going on, no officials, no voting materials, nothing'. What did you do then? 'Around 2:30 in the after noon some heavily armed uniformed men took over the place and there was a rather sham pretence of voting for 30 minutes and that was it'. 'My son forget this place, we don't really belong'
My poor mother left in desperation, once again disenfranchised and hopeless. Mum, don't worry, I am caught without words just like many Nigerians but the end is very close, I can smell it and as long as we keep the hope, we shall not remain speechless for long.

Nessun commento: